Home Tutor vs Tuition Centres
Which is the Best Decision for my Child?
Nowadays, hiring a tutor is the norm in Singapore. About two-thirds (67%) of Singaporeans currently have or had previously engaged the services of a home tutor singapore or enrolled their children in group tutoring at tuition centers.
This shows how popular and necessary the practice of hiring a tutor has become.
This is caused by the extremely demanding education system in our meritocratic country.
Home Tutor vs Tuition Centre
Parents like you may often wonder which type of tuition will have the best results for your child; Should you hire a home tutor or send your child to a tuition center?
Here is a breakdown of the benefits of one over the other that will help you decide what to go for when you want your child to excel in their education:
1. A Home Tutor Allows for Undivided Attention
A study conducted by Two University of Chicago doctoral students showed that the average student under one-to-one tutoring had performed about two standard deviations above average.
This undoubtedly reaffirms that home tuition has many advantages over sending your child to a tuition centre. The most important reason being that it allows your child access to undivided attention.
This one-to-one attention between the tutor and your child allows for personalised tutoring catered to your child’s needs.
This allows a tutor to pay attention to the your child’s weak points and deal with any learning difficulties that he or she might encounter.
Your child is likely to have better results as the tutor will dedicate their undivided attention to your child and your child will also be free to ask any question they might have.
However, at a tuition center, your child might be distracted by other students through small conversations which might distract him or her from proper learning.
2. A Home Tutor Removes the Hassle of Travelling
Home tuition removes the hassle of travelling for both the student and the parent as it takes place at your preferred location.
We understand that parents like yourself have packed schedules juggling work and rushing between family activities.
A home tutor helps to reduce the need to be rushing to and from endless tuition and enrichment classes.
Less time is also wasted because the student will not be forced to travel to a different location.
This allows your child more time to rest as less time is spent travelling. This is especially important after long school sessions, thus allowing your child to better focus during tutoring lessons.
3. A Home Tutor Allows for Greater Flexibility
Unlike the fixed timetables of a tuition centre, a home tutor is often more flexible with their timing and you can easily integrate the student’s timetable with the tutor’s.
More importantly, students can negotiate with the home tutor should they feel that there’s a need to increase the lesson frequency during the examination period.
Rescheduling tutoring sessions with the home tutor is also easier as opposed to forfeiting lessons at tuition centers. This is important as your child’s school schedule combined with CCAs, remedial and enrichment lessons are often subject to great changes.
4. A Home Tutor Will Cater to Your Child’s Needs
There are many different Tutor Categories to choose from as detailed in our guide to choosing the ideal home tutor. To summarise, the tutor categories you can choose from are as follows:
• Polytechnic/Junior College/Undergraduate/NIE Trainee Tutor : They can easily relate to the situation that your child is going through. However, they might be unavailable when they have their personal academic obligations like exams and projects.
• Part-time Tutor : They are older and have more experience than student tutors. They also have limited time to tutor and can only offer their services in the evenings and weekends. They can handle one or two students at a time and charge according to their experience in tutoring.
• Full-time Tutor : Tutoring is their main occupation hence they might watch the time more closely since they offer their services to many students in a day. They also have more experience in noticing the weak areas of a student and they are also well versed in the syllabus as they have been teaching the subject over and over to other students.
• MOE Certified Tutor : These are the most sought after and they charge the highest rates. That is because they have a lot of experience and expertise in the teaching profession. Thus, they are better placed to know the areas where a student needs to focus most on and they understand system better. For these reasons, they are considered to be the best option for providing tutoring services.
Depending on your child’s needs, this allows you to choose a home tutor that will best suit your child’s needs.
Why Hire A Home Tutor?
To conclude, while having group tuition at tuition centers is often cheaper than home tuition, there are many more benefits to consider.
Ideally, when you are looking for a good tutor, you should consider the needs of your child and your budget. Considering this analysis, hiring a home tutor will give you better results than tuition centers if you can afford the best for your child.
The process of looking for a tutor is really simple and all you will need is to click on the button below to connect instantly with your ideal home tutor.
Hace Home Tuition Agency Singapore is the best way to connect with your ideal home tutor.
Bloom, B. (1984). “The 2 Sigma Problem: The Search for Methods of Group Instruction as Effective as One-to-One Tutoring” Educational Researcher, Vol. 13, No. 6 (Jun – Jul, 1984), pp. 4-16